Date:      Tue, 03 Aug 1999 13:44:11 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Selfstyled arrogance?

On Monday, 2nd August 1999, Mike Hoskins wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Stephen McKay wrote:
>
>> It's very much a dispassionate "here are the facts of this situation"
>> message.  The lesson in it for us is that we should concentrate even more
>> on Linux Binary Compatibility.  Even the stupid bits.
>
>Call me stupid, but I don't like seeing 'concentrate on' and 'stupid bits'
>in the same paragraph when referring to the FreeBSD Project...

Yeah, it doesn't fully match my philosophy either.  But if you advocate
FreeBSD (as in you want to see it take over the world), then Linux ABI
compatibility is a priority requirement.  Simple as that.  If you are
not coding new bits for it, you should be testing any Linux binaries you
can get your hands on.

On the other hand, if you are in it for the intellectual buzz, and don't
care if FreeBSD becomes an irrelevant historical footnote, then it matters
not.  FreeBSD might displace Linux, or it might fail.  Who cares if you are
having fun?

Stephen.