Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:06:30 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1012363590.d08b1d@mired.org>
To:        rene@xs4all.nl
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backups using tar?

rene@xs4all.nl types:
> Hello. I've got a system that I regularly update with cvsup, then rebuilding
> my world and all and in general I'm very happy with this.
>
> However, backups are a necessity and I've got them down with dump & restore.
>
> Now, I'd also like to be able to do it with tar. the idea being that instead
> of fixing my personal and config files together with my system, I'd be able
> to keep them seperate.
>
> Restoration would then be a matter of installing the latest (desired) branch
> of FreeBSD onto a new harddisk, then unpacking the tar file from root under
> that.

I do that, but take a different approach.

> I've found some NetBSD HowTo that has a line on how to accomplish this, but
> it doesn't quite do the trick for FreeBSD.
>
> find / -type f -newer /etc/rc ! \
>         \( -name "backup" -or -name "burn" \) \
>         -exec tar -rvf $backupfile {} \;
>
> the problem is that this line includes most of my /usr/ports, /usr/bin/,
> practically my complete system. Then I might aswell dump it ;)
>
> What would I need to tell tar in order not to take any system files, just my
> personal files? Please take into account that I cvsup sometimes.

How are you defining "your personal files"? Mine all live in
/home/mwm, which isn't on /, so dealing with just them is pretty easy.

Are you possibly refering to system configuration files? That's a
harder problem, and really needs to be dealt with when you install the
system.

For instance, putting /usr on a separate file system means you can
avoid dumping it, which avoids the bulk of the problem.

My approach is to keep all the system files in a source control
systems - cvs is the popular free one, but I use perforce - and then
back that up. So restoration is installing the latest version and
tweaking it so I can get to the perforce server, then restoring the
system files from that. Best practice is to run mergemaster at that
point, and update anything that's changed that was in the cvs/perforce
depot.

	<mike