Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 1995 23:56:38 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@cisco.com>
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended sound card for 1.1.5.1

> I've read the README and the RELNOTES in the sound directory but since I'm
> clueless when it comes to PC sound cards I'm not sure how to parse the
> instructions. What is the recommended cheap sound card... all I want to do
> is play .au files from the web. Digitizing would be nice. Midi and 16 bit
> sound is irelevant. Joystick and Yet Another SCSI Controller is irrelevant.

Well, I'm going to be different.  I say the GUS (Gravis UltraSound) is the
card of choice for both BSD and DOS.  It is -not- SB compatible (in hardware),
but has the advantage of being the only card that I am aware of that can
record and play at the same time (you can configure it to two dma channels)
so you can use things like VAT.

By the way, I have patches to 2.0 that are available for alpha-testing that
use the GUS in this manner (and enable the VAT audio driver).  Unfortunately,
I don't know if they break non-GUS folks.

Paul