Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 12:48:37 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finding a.out shared libraries (was: Netscape no longer works with ELF system)

On Sat, Sep 26, 1998 at 07:25:05PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> If it would help, I could add a FreeBSD-3.0-ELF directory on ftp.xfree86.org
>> with a set of XFree86 3.3.2.3 binaries in ELF format.  An X3323alib.tgz
>> tarball could be added with the a.out libraries (should it contain static
>> libs as well as shared libs?).
>
>That would be great.  Could we do the name change we talked about
>earlier with the last release as well?  You know, the 3.3.2.3 subdir
>with canonically named tarballs below that?

Maybe I could do something like that with the new ELF binaries.  I'm not
going to change all our other binary distributions at this point though,
but maybe when we release 3.3.3 it can be organised differently (don't
hold me to this, but we're considering a 3.3.3 release in about six
weeks from now).  Can you remind me exactly what you proposed last time?

>> Or should the current a.out binaries in the FreeBSD-3.0 directory simply
>> be replaced with ELF ones?
>
>Urk, please no, I was sort of hoping to use at least part of that one
>to populate the /usr/X11R6/lib/compat directory. :-)

But I was going to put them in a new "alib" tarball (or alternatively
they could be in the main "bin" tarball together with the ELF shared libs).
Hmm, are you really planning to put them in /usr/X11R6/lib/compat rather
than /usr/X11R6/lib/aout?

David