Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 19:18:14 +0200
From:      Cynic <cynic@mail.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ./configure-ing a port

Hi there,

I wanted to install a port (mysql323-server [3.23.39] in this particular
case), and since I'm new to FreeBSD, I read the "Using ports" chapter in
the Handbook. Suprised by how little info it carries I told my self "Use
the Source, Luke", and got under the impression that the right way to
configure a port is # make CONFIGURE_ARGS[+]="..." [configure-or-latter-
target].

However, after issuing this sequence:
# make extract
# make CONFIGURE_ARGS="--prefix=/usr/local/mysql ..."
# make install

installed mysql in /usr/local. Is this a bug in the port, or is this NOT
the way to ./configure a software installed from port?

TIA

cynic@mail.cz