Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:56:52 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Joel Mc Graw <jpmcgraw1@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpr - remote printing

At 5:41 PM -0700 11/9/00, Joel Mc Graw wrote:
>It seems that the standard lpr/lpd does NOT allow one to use
>filters for a remotely-hosted printer.

Actually, this is not true, at least not in recent versions of
lpr.  You mentioned you were using freebsd 3.1, and I am not
sure if that includes the change to support 'if=' filters.

What I do know is that there are a number of places in the
documentation (such as comments in /etc/printcap) which STATE
that lpd does not allow filters for remote print queues, even
though lpd does support it.

You might want to try setting up an 'if=' filter on the queue
to the remote printer.  If it does work, you're all set.  If
it doesn't, then contact me and I'll see if there's some easy
way we could update your version of lpd without requiring that
you update the entire system.

(assuming your version of lpd does support 'if=' filters,
then you'd probably want to use apsfilter to do the actual
conversion from pdf to postscript)
--

---