Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2016 07:40:59 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports list <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Firefox 47.0 hangs when accessing cnn.com

On Wed, Jun 08, 2016 at 10:04:40PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 4:04 PM, Bob Willcox < <kob6558@gmail.com>
> bob@immure.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok, I finally figured out how to get portdowngrade to give me a 46.0.1,1
> > version of firefox and built & installed it. Unfortunately, that didn't
> > solve
> > my hanging firefox scripts problem so apparently it's likely to be caused
> > by
> > something else that got updated when I did the portupgrade on June 4th. Not
> > sure where to go from here...
> >
> > Bob
> >

> No easy answers. I, also have no issues with 47.0 on my system and there
> are no other reports of the problem you are having. So where to look?
>
> What version of FreeBSD are you running? On what platform? i386 or amd64 or
> something else. Most people are running amd64. If ir is another platform,
> issues are less likely to have been seen. Is it 10.3 or something else.
>
> Unless someone else has a better suggestion, I'd re-install all
> dependencies. Older versions are more likely to have issues.I use
> portmaster, but I know portupgrade can also do this. Or use packages. It's
> a lot faster when you don't need any options on the ports.
>
> Other than that, I have no good ideas other than to re-install everything.
> And that may not fix it as it is possible that it's a memory or other
> hardware issue.
>
> I hope someone else has a better idea than I.

I'm running:

FreeBSD luke.immure.com 10.3-STABLE FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #24 r301442: Sun Jun  5 08:47:09 CDT 2016     bob@luke.immure.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/LUKE  amd64

This is on a system with an i7-5820K processor, 32GB of memory and a 256GB M.2
SSD as the system drive. As as rule, it runs quite fast (does a make
buildworld in about 11 minutes), Also, chrome seems to run fine. It's that
firefox stalls/hangs, esp noticable when try ing to go to ccn.com. Other sites
will trigger it as well (once it starts it doesn't seem to ever clear up) but
it happens quickest with cnn.com for some reason.

I ran 'synth upgrade-system' on the system the other day as a test/experiment.
It rebuild and reinstalled all 1040 ports/packages on the system, but alas,
that didn't help.

I'm pretty much at a loss at this point about what to do next. I've been
considering removing all of the ports and then reinstalling them from scratch.

--
Bob Willcox    | Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
bob@immure.com | Who knows?  Who cares?