Date:      Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:05:56 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Boris Spirialitious <hardcodeharry@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.x Opteron Question

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:50:22AM -0800, Boris Spirialitious wrote:
> When opteron support start for Freebsd? I have 4.9.=20
> is supported? Or 4.11 better? I can't use 5.x.

Well, AMD64 support as a tier-1 platform only came in with 5.x, so
you're S.O.L. if you have to use a 4.x release version. =20
=20
> Will a i386 disk boot on opteron system? Can I
> use same disk image for intel and amd MBs? Any
> big problems?

You can generally run AMD64 machines in IA32 mode -- but what would be
the point? All you get then is a machine that costs more than an
equivalent IA32 box and that probably performs worse.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                      School Rd
PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey         Tilmanstone
Tel: +44 1304 617253                                  Kent, CT14 0JL UK

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf

--J2SCkAp4GZ/dPZZf--