Date:      Sun, 03 Oct 1999 22:04:06 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        mranner@netway.at
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sppp corrupts mails (was: Re: 0.82 and sendmail 8.9.3 (3.2R)

Michael Ranner writes:
>1. I have no problem to compile and run i4b-0.82 with sppp under 3.2-RELEASE
>2. I have the sendmail problem (emails >50k) under 3.2R with i4b-0.82 and sppp
>.
>3. I have NO sendmail problem with Brian's ppp and i4b-0.82 under 3.2R
>4. I have compile problems with i4b-0.83's sppp and spppcontrol (especially
>   spppcontrol) under 3.2-RELEASE (this has nothing to do with 2 and 3)
>
>Fact 2 and 3 let me guess there is a problem with sppp or somewhere around it,
>but it seems to me that there is no problem in the Fritz! PCI driver beacause
>ppp runs fine with the raw channel devices and isdnd (i4b-0.82)

this is a little late, but I must disagree with your conclusion. I still
suspect (as author of the Fritz!Card PCI driver) that the bug is in the
driver and is tickled by sPPP. Brian's user-ppp uses the rbch interface,
which is in some ways much more simple than the ipr or isp interfaces.

I make this bold statement because the problems seen with the Fritz!Card PCI
and sPPP do not appear with any of the other supported cards. At least, I've
never seen any problem reports.

>So the use of Brian Somers ppp fixed my problem with corrupted emails
>under 0.82 and my compilation problem with 0.83 (spppcontrol fails) because
>ppp runs fine with 0.82

good to know that Brian's stuff works so well.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de
Work - garyj@fkr.dec.com