Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:25:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Dorr H. Clark" <dclark@applmath.scu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   MP & FreeBSD

Hi-

I have some questions about multi-processing
and FreeBSD.  If I am using the wrong list(s)
to ask this, please let me know.  All these
questions pertain to the x86 variant of FreeBSD.

I am interested in booting and running FreeBSD
on a two-processor Tyan motherboard.  I would
like to know the following information:

1) According to the release notes for 4.1.1,
SMP is not considered a base capability of the OS.
Is there a separate baseline which is an
experimental SMP, or are the changes hidden
behind a particular build flag?  If there
is a baseline & it is open, can I find out
a link for downloads?

2) What is the earliest revision of FreeBSD
which will boot both CPUs on a dual CPU board?
Are the changes coherently archived, or do
they need to be extracted from CVS somewhere?

3) Is there an individual or group leading the
SMP development?  What are the issues which keep
this from being a mainstream capability?
I can't promise any useful output from my work
but I'd be happy to help with forward progress
if possible.

Thanks in advance for any useful information,

-Dorr H. Clark
Santa Clara University