Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:32:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Richard J Kuhns <rjk@grauel.com>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Stable List)
Subject:   3.4 -> 4.0 upgreade = lockup

Stan Brown writes:
 > 	As an experiment I tried to upgrade a spare machien that I had 3.4
 > 	Stable on to 4.0 The machine in question is an HP Vectra 486/66.
 >
 > 	All seemd to go well untill the final reboot. Now it jangs (hard lockup
 > 	no response to keyboard input) on reboot.
 >
 > 	The last thing it prints is "doing network setup hostname" This is
 > 	followed by a cr/lf, and it hangs there. If I cycle power it is able to
 > 	fsck the disk and return to this point where it locks up again.
 >
 > 	The network card is a 3C509 (ep driver) in an ISA slot. I can simply
 > 	load 4.0 on this machien to resolve the problem wiht it, but I have a
 > 	couple of other amchines that I would much rather upgared than
 > 	re-install.
 >
 > 	Any debuging sugestions?

You didn't mention whether or not you were using a custom kernel.  If you
are, here's something that bit me the first time I tried the upgrade.

Make sure that the line in your kernel config file that used to be

device  atkbd0  at isa? irq 1
                   ^
now reads

device	atkbd0	at atkbdc? irq 1
                   ^
If you don't change it, config will silently accept it and generate a
kernel that won't talk to the keyboard :-(.

Of course, I didn't discover this until after I'd run the new MAKEDEV per
the UPGRADE instructions, so I had a 4.0 kernel that wouldn't talk to the
keyboard and a 3.4 kernel that couldn't talk to any disks (no block
devices, so I couldn't mount / rw).

It's times like this that really make you appreciate things like the fixit
CD.  I've screwed things up like this in the distant past (anyone remember
ESIX?) when all we had to work with were stone knives and bearskins, and I
REALLY wouldn't want to go back :-).

--
Richard Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (765)477-6000 \