Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 19:42:14 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        shellis@fda.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A little Linux compatability exercise

I had problems like this also.  It went away when I upgraded to a
later version of STABLE.

s wrote:

> To:
>              FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Dear Folks,
>
> Several weeks ago I tried to install a package called
> xinvest-2.5.1.tgz.  What occurred was quite interesting, and the
> resulting frustrations have only been out-matched by the interesting
> learning experience. The reason I am interested in this little project
> (it has now turned into a project) is that it gives me valuable
> experience in adding Linux type packages.  This will probably become
> more important to FreeBSD users as the library of Linux applications
> expands.
>
> I am using release 3.1 on 3 different systems; one is a Pentium 200, one
> is an AMD 233, and the third is a 486 DX 66.  The first two systems have
> 64 MB of RAM and the third system has 48 MB of RAM.  All three systems
> have at least seven gigabytes of disk.
>
> I believe that the last appearance of the xinvest package is in the
> packages for release 2.2.8.  I downloaded the package, and used the
> package add function.  It installed smoothly on all three systems.  I
> have also installed linux_lib-2.6, and later linux_lib-2.6.1. I also
> re-compiled my kernel with "option Linux." Then the fun began.
>
> 1.) On the first system, when I typed in "Xinvest", I received the
> following diagnostic:
>
> ld-elf.so.1 failed: shared object "libXm.so.1" not found.
>
>  I checked my directories to make sure that this was present in both
> /usr/X11R6/lib and /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib, which was the case.
>
> 2.) On the second system, when I typed in "Xinvest", I received the
> following diagnostic:
>
> ld.so failed: can't find shared library "libXpm.so.4.11"
>
> I checked my directories to make sure that this was present in both
> /usr/X11R6/lib and /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib, which was the case,
> as was the situation with the 486 DX 66.
>
> 3.) On the third system, I received the following diagnostic:
>
> ld.so failed: can't find shared library "libXpm.so.4"
>
> But the following exist...
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.11 and
> usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.11
>
> I made sure that the proper link was made between
> libXpm.so.4.11 and libXpm.so.4 in both cases, as pointed out in the
> handbook, section 23.1.
> In all three cases, I made sure that xpm-4.3k was present.  The same for
> lessiif.  In all cases, I made sure that the FreeBSD version of
> libXm.so.1 was present in /usr/X11R6 and that the Linux version was
> present in /usr/compat/linux/usr/X11R6/lib, as prescribed in the
> handbook, section 23.1.
>
> The second system got even more interesting.  I re-generated xpm-4.3k
> and xinvest came up perfectly.  If you left X-Windows, and re-entered,
> Xinvest still came up.  However, if you re-booted, you were back with
> the original diagnostic error. You could, however, re-generate xpm-4.3k,
> and xinvest would come up and run perfectly again. This did not happen
> [...]

Stephen Montgomery-Smith              stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building             stephen@showme.missouri.edu
Department of Mathematics             stephen@missouri.edu
University of Missouri-Columbia