Date:      Thu, 02 Apr 1998 14:06:47 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Charles Quarri <randy@hackerz.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hesiod support on 2.2

> On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Charles Quarri wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a central management system like NIS without
> > the blatant security holes.  I have heard that Hesiod can do this.
>
>   All blatant security holes in NIS depend on how you configure it.

You can minimize NIS security holes by limiting which hosts have access
to your NIS ports.

Another approach I've used (on NIS+) is to put a * in the password
fields of the passwd map and use Kerberos V.  In this case NIS would
serve hosts, services and other maps, and be used for UID to username
mapping while Kerberos would be used for user authentication.

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca