Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2001 00:33:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com>
Cc:        Marius Strom <marius@marius.org>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (OT) Re: another ip as alias on NIC doesn't work properly

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, alexus wrote:

> Marius this is very much isp related topic, if you don't like it,
> unfortunately there is nothing I can do here, I don't wish to annoy you but
> I do need help with this issue

I think I would agree with Marius.  A better place for this question is in
-questions, or if you don't get help there, in the networking area.   That
said, the people in the networking list (I can't remember the appropriate
list name) are probably going to be asking you more about the code, etc.

Perhaps an even better place would be on the BitchX or irc client
lists.  This is obviously a client problem at this point, unless you can
prove that *NOTHING* can bind to a specific IP Address.

As far as the list charter, this list is for issues related to *RUNNING*
an ISP.  Let me give you a for instance...   "Why won't apache bind to my
second IP" would be a valid question.   "Why won't my irc SERVER bind to
the second IP" would also be a vaild question.   "Why won't my irc CLIENT
bind to my second IP" is more along the lines of a "user" question.

In all reality, the people who monitor and answer -questions are probably
going to be MUCH more able to answer this question than the people here
because this problem doesn't deal with software that the majority of the
people on this list use on a daily basis.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE