Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 02:50:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [slightly OT] Win 95 upgrade CD & bochs

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Mark Ovens wrote:

> OK, this is a Windows question but since it's related to getting
> bochs up and running it's FreeBSD related as well.
>
> Does anyone know how Win95 determines whether you have a valid OS
> installed before it will "upgrade" to 95?
>
> I've got bochs installed an now am trying to install 95 but my CD
> is and upgrade version and it keeps bombing out because it can't
> find an OS that it valid to "upgrade" from on the hard disk.
>
> Unfortunately I gave away my DOS 6.22 floppies so I can't put that
> on.
>
> I've copied MSDOS.DOS, IO.DOS, COMMAND.DOS from my real C: (renaming
> them to *.SYS) and I've run FDISK /MBR, but still it complains.
>
> How do I get around it? Anyone know?

You need the first floppy of Windows 3.1 (perhaps 3.0 will also do) not
DOS and insert that when prompted. You do *not* have to install it first.
There are also CD's (in fact most I've seen are) full version, not
upgrade. What you might have is the very first version of 95. It is
the buggiest..., but it installs and runs on 4MB. Maybe try to find a
newer CD (with copyright date 1996 on it) or Windows98 (too heavy on RAM)??

Marc