Date:      Wed, 10 May 1995 08:33:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      hm@ernie.altona.hamburg.com (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A question of downloading device drivers

>From the keyboard of Rodney W. Grimes:

> > I think you mean the EXOS 205T boards.  Down loading via ioctl()
> > sucks (I know; I happen to be doing it for LKM).
>
> The EXOS 205T is an IBM/PC board, the EXOS board I am referring to
> is a Unibus board.  And I was wrong, it is the Interlan board, not
> the Excelan board :-).

Are the ioctl's necessary for downloading implemented in the ethernet
driver's ioctl 'space' or does it use a separate character device just
for downloading ?

> > Really, it should be done with kernel level vnode I/O, just like the
> > UFS disk quotas.

Do you mean that the device driver code should access a file in the
filesystem directly ?

hellmuth (being in the middle of another device driver adventure)
--
Hellmuth Michaelis           hm@altona.hamburg.com              Hamburg, Europe
                                              (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nstall BSD ?