Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:00:10 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and /var/spool/mqueue

On Jun 17, 2004, at 2:39 PM, Bill Moran wrote:
> What does it mean when I have a lot of files in /var/spool/mqueue?  I
> don't
> really understand what that particular queue is for.

That is the queue of unsent messages which sendmail will periodicly
attempt to resend (every four hours, by default).  You can try to flush
them via "sendmail -v -q".

> This client is not having any problems getting/sending mail, and the
> mailq
> command only shows one mail in the queue, but I have 3867 files in this
> directory.

Hmm.  Sendmail tends to accumulate spam-related bounces which can't be
delivered because the spam used forged headers, and I've seen some
signs that sendmail doesn't always manage to clean up the queue files
of such messages after they can't be delivered for 5 days.

[ I seem to recall that the sendmail operations guide recommends moving
mqueue to oqueue, creating a new mqueue, and then processing the oqueue
by hand.  Once that is completed, delete oqueue and any leftover
files.... ]

--
-Chuck