Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:16:22 -0600
From:      "Joe Stuart" <jstuart@edenpr.k12.mn.us>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Nis

Hi,
I'm running NIS with freebsd as the server and using redhat clients.  I
have authentication working fine but I cant seem to get changing the
passwords to work. If you change the password from a redhat box it just
changes the NIS password not the system password and changing the
password while on the freebsd server complains and says "passwd Unknown
NIS user: username" . I have in rc.conf

nisdomainname="nisdomain"           # Domain Name
nis_server_enable="YES"         # run NIS server
nis_server_flags=""             # Flags to ypserv
nis_yppasswdd_enable="YES"      # Run Passwd Server
nis_yppasswdd_flags=" -sf -t /etc/master.passwd"

and I'm changing the password from the server with passwd -y.

Thanks in advance