Date:      19 Sep 2003 09:31:23 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "make: permission denied" error when doing "make installworld"

Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org> writes:

> (if this question is more appropriate for freebsd-stable, let me know)

Not really.

> I'm trying update one of my servers, and can't get past a "make:
> permission denied" error when doing a "make instalworld" as root in single
> user mode.  My sequence was this:
>
> cvsup
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> shutdown now   (go to single user mode)

That should be "shutdown -r now".  You want to reboot into the new
kernel.  [This explains the problem, I think, because you're probably
still running at a raised security level, even though you're in
single-user mode.]

> make installworld
>
> I'm I missing something?  I've run into this once before on another
> server, and just did a binary upgrade to get around it.  The thing is,
> I've successfully upgraded along the -STABLE tree via this method
> countless times.
>
> / is mounted rw, and /usr/bin/make is executable.

I suspect the "permission denied" errors are caused by
system-immutable flags, not by file permissions.