Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 1998 12:29:09 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jfieber@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Upgrade 2.2.5-RELEASE to 2.2-STABLE.

On Mon, Mar 16, 1998 at 04:26:43AM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > > It's not a question of disk, it's a question of being able to actually
> > > create the archive on anything less than an ftp.cdrom.com class
> > > machine. :)
> >
> > Build 'em on freefall and scp them over?
>
> When I said ftp.cdrom.com-class machine, I really meant it.  The
> memory requirements of MHonArc when indexing truly large mailing lists
> runs far beyond what's on freefall.  You need at least 512MB of memory
> and several GB of swap space just to do freebsd-hackers and if you
> tried a really large list like -questions, you'd probably need several
> GB of memory and a dedicated 4GB swap drive.

Ouch. I knew it was big, but I didn't realise it was that big. . . :-(

OTOH, maybe later versions have improved in this area. I'll investigate.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?