Date:      Tue, 7 Feb 2006 14:04:42 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        "Donald J. O'Neill" <duncan.fbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic with ACPI enabled

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 13:37, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 February 2006 09:48, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > Yes, here is the config (currently I'm using FreeBSD 6.0):
> > > http://80.50.250.246/siano/forum/SYS-acpi-as-module.txt
> > >
> > > When I compile acpi directly into the kernel, I've got panic with
> > > the same message as above (pmap_mapdev...).
> > > Unfortunately I can't do backtrace, because kernel didn't mount
> > > disk *before* panic, I will try to move function responsible for
> > > mounting root device before pmap_mapdev().
> >
> > You can get a backtrace if you include DDB in your kernel and use
> > 'tr' at the db> prompt after the panic.  It might be easier to
> > capture it if you can setup a serial console.
> >
> > Also, you probably don't want the NO_MEMORY_HOLE (only applies to K6
> > CPUs, you have an Athlon (K8)),  CPU_UPGRADE_HW_CACHE (only applies
> > to PC-98 machines in Japan), CPU_FASTER_5X86_FPU (only applies to
> > Cyrix 5x86 CPUs), or CPU_SUSP_HLT (only applies to Cyrix CPUs)
> > options.  You probably don't want the CPU_ATHLON_SSE_HACK unless you
> > really need it as well, though it won't hurt.  Also, try removing the
> > 'MAXMEM' option and letting the kernel figure out the mappings from
> > the BIOS.  This might actually be the source of the panic since the
> > kernel might be corrupting the ACPI tables due to the MAXMEM option.
> >
> > > Sorry, if my english is terrible, but I come from Poland.
> > > Regards.
> >
> > It's not terrible at all. :)
>
> I have a few things. Is there a reason you have 'device apm'? Are you
> trying to use APM and ACPI at the same time? Why do you have 'device
> isa' rather than 'device eisa'? Where you, by any chance, just re-using
> your conf file from 5.x? It kind of looks that way. Have you looked at
> i386/conf/NOTES? There is some more information in there.

device isa is normal, and he probably just commented out eisa since modern=
=20
systems don't have EISA slots.  The apm thing won't hurt, though it probabl=
y=20
adds a small bit of bloat to the kernel.  If you have both apm and acpi the=
n=20
acpi will be used if it is present, otherwise if acpi is not present (or is=
=20
disabled) then apm will be used.

=2D-=20
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve"  =3D  http://www.FreeBSD.org