Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 17:45:08 -0600
From:      dmk <gh@over-yonder.net>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the desktop (was: TheRegister article on Hotmail)

Moving to -chat, for the sake of my blood pressure...

Anthony Atkielski said something like:
> Julian writes:
>
> > Expanded Reality ;-)
> >   UNIX is a poor choice for the intellectually
> >   lazy, or incompetent; Usually than 50% of PC
> >   users are intellectually lazy, or incompetent;
> >   So UNIX is a poor choice for these people's desktop.
>
> The last statement is true.  The previous two are not.

Prove it.

> Your disdain for people who happen not to share your interests or obsessions
> is an excellent illustration of precisely the attitude that impedes the
> advocacy of operating systems such as UNIX.

Are you sure the impediment is not your cluttering the -advocacy list
with this clearly far off-topic thread?

> One reason FreeBSD and many other
> operating systems remain only marginally present in many environments is
> that their primary supporters are socially na?ve and gratuitously aggressive
> young males.

Oh? Prove it.

> Worry not ... no mass migration from Microsoft operating systems to FreeBSD
> is likely in the foreseeable future; and even if all other obstacles were
> overcome to such a migration, the attitudes of people like yourself would
> still prevent it.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

> > Dumb fumble & click lazy losers are best left
> > to their MS rip off prices, bootlegs, viruses
> > & crashes.
>
> See above.

> > 6500 ported FreeBSD packages inc. many window
> > managers gives a wide choice of desktops ...
>
> People don't want a wide choice of desktops.  They just want a machine that
> does the job, and then they're done.

I use FreeBSD because it does the job.

> If any of them are reading this thread, I'm sure you've scared them off
> pretty effectively--more so than I can realistically counter with my own
> meager dose of unemotional rationality, I'm afraid.

Forgive me, for this last line caused me to snicker.

Thank you for the entertainment, Anthony.

dan