Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 1997 0:58:35 MET
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        pdonner@cisco.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few questions.

> Pardon my ignorance, but could you clue me in a bit more?  I need to
> continue the installation of further packages (i.e. GateD, in this case)
> off of my DOS/WIN95 partition.  I have found the files you are speaking about
> but I am not understanding exactly what you are saying.  What do you
> mean by "source it in".  I also don't understand your command format
> "cd wherever_it_is/bin ; . install.sh"

Please don't worry about your "ignorance"!
May be its *my* ignorance and I did not understand your question?
I thought  gated  is part of the bin distribution and you wanted to
continue installation of a partially installed distribution. By now
I learned however that you wanted to add the *package* gated to your
system. So you better forget about "sourcing in" for now. (Its a way
a shell is executing a script without starting a new shell!  Instead it
reads the script and interprets the commands as if they came from
the console)

Now what you want to use is the pkg_add program. On the CD there
should be a directory with the name  packages . In it is a subdirectory
with the name  net or something similar. (I can't read my CD at the moment,
if I try, my system freezes :-( ). There should be a file with the name
gated???tar.gz. This is the only file you need. You enter
 pkg_add /cdrom/packages/net/gated???tar.gz and gated will be installed.
If you cannot access your CD from within FreeBSD you have to copy the
*tar.gz - file to a DOS-Partition (from within DOS) and then from that
Partition to a FreeBSD-Partition (from within FreeBSD). You might have
to use a different name for the file on the DOS-Partition, like gated.tgz.

I hope that helps.
Have fun Wolfgang.