Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 09:21:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Vladimir Silyaev <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Fortran problems/Linux emu problems

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Vladimir Silyaev wrote:

:>
:>As far as I understood you, you have a problem with binaries builded
:>under FreeBSD by Linux fortran compiler. The same source code builded
:>in the native linux environment looks ok, right?

That is correct.

:>
:>If so I see only one possible problem (besides wrong installation
:>of fortran) - that during compilation fortran used some part
:>of FreeBSD system (i.e. libraries, or even linker, C-compiler).

That was my first idea and it seems that way, but the same installation
(which hasn't been changed) worked before.

:>
:>If you think that it was working before you may use ktrace/linux_kdump
:>or strace to see what differences before and after upgrade.
:>
:>Regards,
:>Vladimir
:>
:>P.S. You may want see how binaries builded on FreeBSD works under native
:>Linux and what's ldd saying there.
:>P.S.S. Did you aware about brandelf utility?

I'm surely aware of brandelf, but that doesn't matter.

A couriosity is, that on one machine, the NFS server, after restarting mountd,
the problem disappeared on the NFS server. I can now compile my software normaly.
But not on the other systems, the clients of the NFS server. It looks weird ...'

:>
:>> Well, I did the 'doublecheck' so far, without success.
:>> I tried to 'chroot' myself into /compat/linux and encapsulate
:>> all actions by starting a Linux shell by exec-ing a
:>> /compat/linux/bin/sh, without success.
:>>
:>> But why should I do that when I know that all systems run all
:>> right before?
:>>
:>> Using ldd within this encapsulated environment gives me an error
:>> like this:
:>>
:>> root: /bin: ldd dd
:>> /usr/bin/ldd: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: cannot execute binary file
:>> ldd: /lib/ld-linux.so.2 exited with unknown exit code (126)
:>>
:>> This is the Linux dd.
:>>
:>> All programs are compiled against Linux ones, I presume.
:>> It is curois to me that some systems are not working properly since
:>> we did the last update.
:>> :>You should doublecheck that your linux executabled are linked against
:>> :>Linux libraries, not FreeBSD ones. You may check that by using ldd from the
:>> :>linux devtools.
:>> :>
:>> :>Another thing what you may try to do, it's to compile from environment
:>> :>'chrooted' into the /compat/linux.
:>> :>
:>> :>--
:>> :>Regards,
:>> :>Vladimir
:>> :>
:>> :>
:>
:>--
:>Vladimir
:>
:>

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)