Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:32:08 -0800
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        John Purser <johnmpurser@home.com>
Cc:        "'J McKitrick'" <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amazon email response

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 08:20:31AM -0800, John Purser wrote:

> I'm trying to avoid the big guys and I want a good selection, rapid
> shipping, and a good web site.  In short, Amazon without the patent issue.

I recommend fatbrain.com; they have an excellent selection of
technical books and a decent (and, it seems to me, expanding)
selection of other books.  In my experience, the claimed availabilty
for an item is accurate.  The search engine is a little weak,
not having a good idea of "best match".

A while back, an officemate and I (at Caltech) both placed our first
orders with fatbrain within a day of each other, because they had some
sort of promotion and we needed textbooks.  Unprovoked, a representative
telephoned us and set up a "corporate discount" for Caltech, which
got us discounts and free shipping.  In my book, that's pretty good
service.  Of course, they the guy who called did ask whether Caltech
wasa 4-year school or some sort of junior college, but I won't hold
that against them...

They periodically send out good discount offers ($20 off $50 order,
that kind of thing).  All the email I've gotten from them has been
useful to me, so I haven't tried to decline their email.

Oh, they sent us free hats, too.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * UNIX is a lever for the
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * intellect. -J.R. Mashey