Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:51:34 -0600
From:      "Timms, Simon" <STimms@petro-canada.ca>
To:        'Kris Kennaway' <kris@obsecurity.org>, Adam McLaurin <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD in Windows.....

-----Original Message-----
From: Kris Kennaway [mailto:kris@obsecurity.org]
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 3:41 PM
To: Adam McLaurin
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

>On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 05:32:40PM -0400, Adam McLaurin wrote:
>> On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 17:17, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> > That won't help the OP.  He's asking how to access a FreeBSD UFS =
_on
>> > the same computer_ while running Windows.  Unless you can purchase =
>> > Windows UFS driver somewhere out there, this is not possible.  The
>> > recommended way to share files from FreeBSD to Windows on a =
dual-boot
>> > OS is to use a FAT partition which can be mounted on both OSes.
>>=20
>> What about installing vmware (on XP), then install FreeBSD in =
vmware,
>> and mounting it that way? Maybe a lot of trouble, but at least he'd =
be
>> able to get at the data.
>
>Yeah, that might work.
>
>Kris

If my understanding of vmware is correct that shouldn't work, couldn't =
work.
Vmware is just an x86 emulator which sits on top of windows, the OS =
working
in=20
VMware should be unaware that it is running in an emulator and =
shouldn't
have=20
direct access to any of the host computer's resources.  If the host =
system=20
is unable to mount a file system then the operating system in vmware =
should
also be unable to mount it. First because it is unaware that it exists =
and
second because vmware uses the host system's resources and anything =
which is
inaccessible to the host system would also be inaccessible to the =
emulated
system.

                         ********************

This email communication is intended as a private communication for the =
sole
use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in =
the
original message. The information contained in this email is private =
and
confidential and if you are not an intended recipient you are hereby
notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or =
distribution of
this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not =
specifically
authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received =
it in
error please notify the original sender immediately.  We honour similar
requests relating to the privacy of email communications.

Cette communication par courrier =E9lectronique est une communication =
priv=E9e =E0
l'usage exclusif du destinataire principal ainsi que des personnes dont =
les
noms figurent en copie.  Les renseignements contenus dans ce courriel =
sont
confidentiels et si vous n'=EAtes pas le destinataire pr=E9vu, vous =
=EAtes avis=E9,
par les pr=E9sentes que toute reproduction, tout transfert ou toute =
autre
forme de diffusion de cette communication par quelque moyen que ce soit =
est
interdit.  Si vous n'=EAtes pas sp=E9cifiquement autoris=E9 =E0 =
recevoir ce courriel
ou si vous croyez l'avoir re=E7u par erreur, veuillez en aviser =
l'exp=E9diteur
original imm=E9diatement.  Nous respectons les demandes similaires qui
touchent la confidentialit=E9 des communications par courrier =
=E9lectronique.