Date:      18 Jan 2003 08:21:20 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Brian Astill <bastill@adam.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Larger Hard Drive (2)

Brian Astill <bastill@adam.com.au> writes:

> BUT, when I create a directory in which to mount ad2 I get:
> root@BAPhD ~ #ls -R /usr/local/new
> opt     usr     var
>
> /usr/local/new/opt:
> /usr/local/new/usr:
> local
> /usr/local/new/usr/local:
> /usr/local/new/var:
>
> Note that /usr/local is not shown as a separate entity.
> Similarly, there is no root partition.
>
> Obviously, I am doing something wrong, or incompletely - but what?

It's unclear to me (1) what you did and (2) what you're trying to
accomplish.  I'll try to guess on (2).

Typically, when trying to transfer an OS to a new disk, you'd mount
one of the new partitions, say "a" (for "/"), on some directory, say
"dir", and then xfr the data with something like:
    "cd dir; dump -f - / | restore -rf -"
Rinse and repeat, then, with "a" mounted on "dir", prepare dir/etc/fstab
for rebooting and swap disks or reconfigure your boot managers, etc.
(Theoretically, the stuff you dump should be mounted read-only or not
mounted, probably in single-user mode.)