Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:01:04 +0900
From:      "Rommel B. Ikeda" <r_ikeda@oisca.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        on@cs.ait.ac.th
Subject:   Re: Setting-Up my PC to a Printer in our LAN - FX DocuColor 1250 CP

Thank you very much for the replies.

> There are lots of ways you might try.  From ports you might consider
> cups or LPRng.  However, it will in part depend on what the LAN card
> supports (HP JetDirect cards are easy).
>
> This is all really well covered in the handbook under printing.
>
> Given that the printer on your network has a hostname, and that
> hostname is printer.mynet.com, and the network card supports lpd put
> the following in your /etc/printcap:
>

> text:\
>         :rm=printer.mynet.com:\
>         :rp=text:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd-text:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
> #
> lp|PostScript Printer:\
>         :rm=printer.mynet.com:\
>         :rp=raw:\
>         :mx#0:
>         :vf=/bin/ls:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd-ps:\
>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

I have included all of these in my /etc/printcap file.  I only replaced
the rm:printer.mynet.com to rm:192.168.1.15
When I typed http://192.168.1.15 in my Mozilla Browser, I was able to
see some details of my Printer and I found out that the Printer has an
IP Address to 192.168.1.15 with subnet 255.255.255.0 it also has a Host
Name = FX-095574 and found that most of the settings are all dynamically
set.

> create the spool directories you just mentioned:
>
> mkdir /var/spool/output/lpd-ps
> mkdir /var/spool/output/lpd-text

I did these too.

> start the lpd daemon:
>
> lpd
>
> And (assuming all is well) put a flag in /etc/rc.conf to make sure
> that lpd is started for you at every boot:
>

> lpd_enable="YES"                        # Run the line printer daemon.

I included this in my /etc/rc.conf too.

> Assuming everything is ok, you can print a postscript file by:
>
> lp filename.ps
>
> and a text file by:
>
> lp -d text filename.txt

I did also these to test .
Now here is my Problem, I can print...or nothing comes out from the
Printer...What do you think am I missing...?

Thanks for any reply...

Rommel Ikeda