Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 19:54:50 -0400
From:      PJourdan <info@lespetitsplaisirs.com>
To:        Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: double scsi boot

I'm having some mail problems, so I hope you are getting my mail.
The tekram BIOS is a utility to set the boot disk and other configuration
options for the scsi devices. Everything seems to work ok on the disks. I
have the W2K on the first partition of one of the drives in NTFS (6.8gb)
and the other partition (logical, I believe) is FAT.  But, I notice that no
configurations work for grub that list both the primary particion and the
logical one - like (hd0,0,a) nor (hd0,a) - anyway it refuses the NTFS....
I guess there are no gurus out there for grub - on W2K-Pro, scsi and Tekram :-(

At 05:41 PM 5/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>5/18/2002 9:41:55 AM, "P. Jourdan" <pippo@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
> >>Hmm - do you have an ntloader any more, or did that leave you at
>some
> >>point during all this experimentation?  Did FBSD bootloader overwrite
>it?
> >>You might try restoring your Win2K boot sector, reinstalling grub,
>and
> >>seeing if it works then.
> >>
> >>Jud
> >grub is set up on the FreeBSD disk.
> >The normal BIOS setup is for scsi boot. Then, in the Tekram BIOS, I
>have to
> >choose which scsi drive to boot from. One is FreeBSD, the other is
>W2K. So,
> >for grub I choose the BSD and I get the grub login choice of BSD or
>W2K.
> >BSD works fine; W2K does not respond - except with unrecognized
>file system
> >0x7.
> >There is no problem with the ntloader (ntldr) as it boots fine when the
> >scsi boot disk is set for the W2K disk.
> >(NOTE: I have observed that diskkeeper several times in different
> >installations has refused to read W2K NTFS disks - I don't recall if it
>was
> >in installations that were formatted with Partition Magick or NT before
> >installing W2K. I kwonder if there is not some screw-up by Microsoft of
> >PartitionMagic in slight differences between the kNt & W2K versions?
> >
> >Phil
>
>I wonder if Tekram has put something in your Master Boot Record that
>Diskeeper, grub, etc., are allergic to?  What does the Tekram BIOS do
>besides give you a boot option?

No coffe or donuts... :)) - I'll have to check more closely, but I don't
think that would affect anything.
I have tried to configure the boot.ini on W2K to find the FreeBSD disk, but
could never get it right. Theoretically, it should work...
Phil