Date:      Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:56:22 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Dmitry Mityugov <dmitry.mityugov@gmail.com>
Cc:        Cecil <xeys_00@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suitability of freebsd 5.3 for 486 dx2 66?

Dmitry Mityugov wrote:
> On 7/8/05, Cecil <xeys_00@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I plan on running a 486 I found laying around as a
>>freebsd box. It only has a floppy, and yes, it's a
>>486. It does have 500 meg hard disk and 20 megs of ram
>>though. Any ideas as to what is realistic to expect
>>out of this machine? I plan to run it as a CLI box
>>only to learn perl, python, C++ and some other stuff
>>on.
>

> Well, one thought comes to my mind, it probably will take forever
> (perhaps a week?) to make kernel and world on this CPU, and 500 mb HDD
> does not look big enough to accomodate temporary and object files
> during this process.

For Release 5.4, the installation notes indicate 24 MB RAM is
required, and if I recall, some folks have indicated having problems
with less than 32 MB (24 may be for a rather minimalist install).

You might just be able to squeeze 4.11 onto this box, but as Dmitry
noted, you're likely in for some painful compile times if you do
antyhing serious with it.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348