Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:19:00 -0400
From:      Charles Quarri <randy@hackerz.org>
To:        Oddbjorn Steffensen <oddbjorn@oddbjorn.bdc.no>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on ThinkPad 600

Quoting Oddbjorn Steffensen (oddbjorn@oddbjorn.bdc.no):
> Hi there,
>
> I'm considering buying a ThinkPad 600 to run FreeBSD on, and search
> freebsd-mobile for experiences with the machine. The only thread I
> found was the one regarding your memory problems in July. Were you
> able to solve this, and if so -- do you find the 600 to be a suitable
> platform for FreeBSD ?

I really like the ThinkPad 600, and I find quite suitable.  The solution
for the memory problem is this, remove the SIMM, recompile the kernel with
the appropriate "MAXMEM=xxx" option (don't forget the quotes).  This should
be set to the number that you see on the opening screen when you boot up
the machine when you have the SIMM installed.  After you install the kernel,
shutdown the machine, install the SIMM, and reboot, and you will have all
the memory.

I can't get a few things to work, such as the WaveModem (I have seen a lot
of "this is completely hopeless" messages on this topic), and the built-in
sound card (I have to be able to play my mp3 and get sound in enlightenment).
I still only have PAO-2.2.6 installed on it, so that may be some of my
problem.

A last note, the laptop does use the NeoMagic chip set.  I ended up spending
the money for AccerleratedX (I have used it before, and it is fairly nice),
but this going to change with the next release of Xfree86.

> Do the APM work from within FreeBSD?

Actually, I have played around with this a little, but I really haven't
got it to work right.  I don't think I have played around with it enough
to say it doesn't work, and it may be fixed in 2.2.7.

C. Quarri