Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 16:08:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.minn.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Superblocks getting trashed with -current

I just had my root file system superblock trashed again.  I haven't
had any msdos stuff mounted for several days now, either.  I
needed to reboot so I could run dos for a minute, so I shutdown
to single user mode, unmounted everything, then ran fsck to verify
that all of my superblocks were still good.  Everything was fine,
so I rebooted and started dos for about 5 minutes, then I tried
to reboot FreeBSD.

My root superblock was trashed again at this point.  No, it wasn't
DOS, since the other times it happened, DOS never entered the picture.
A quick look showed that most of the superblock was zeroed out (maybe
the first 1024 bytes).  I've got to go install some hardware for
a customer right now, but I'll verify exactly how much data was
munged when I get home later, and see if I can figure out what
the few non-zero bytes might have been.

BTW, fsck core dumped on me with this superblock - floating point exception.
Probably doing some divide by zero with the bad data.  I had to use
the "-b" option to tell it where to find a good superblock.
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@mpp.minn.net