Date:      Sun, 02 May 2004 14:10:07 +0200
From:      Florian <florian@kerith.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hang up on boot ..

Hi!

>> I want to install using a CD with the 5.2.1-RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso.
>> It shows the "Welcome to FreeBSD!"-screen wit hthe 7 options and that
>> ASCII-art demon to the right.
>> If I chose "1. Boot FreeBSD [default]", it starts to boot but just
>> freezes
>> after a few pages of text, the last lines being:
>> Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1102504582Hz quality 800
>> Timecounters tick every 10.000msec
>
> The next thing to happen after that message is (on my system with IDE)
> probing for ata disk drives.
>
> Can you try it again with just the HD you want to install to connected.
> (yes without the CD drive if you can make the two install floppies)
> The Generic kernel may be struggling with a slave without master
> situation for instance.
>
>> I hope anyone can help me with that ..
>
> More information about the disk drives and other hardware may help
> someone help...

Okay, just thought it might be something obvious or some oversight from my
side ..
The system I use:
ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe Rev1.06 (nForce 2 chipset) (XP2500+, 2x 256mb)
120gb Seagate HDD on on-board Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller
Toshiba SD-M1612 (DVD-Rom) on Primary IDE Master
AOpen CRW 4850 (CD-RW) on Primary IDE Slave

Thanks in advance
  - Florian