Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 21:27:56 -0700
From:      Doug <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        "Vladimir A. Petrov" <V.Petrov@VAZ.RU>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions mail list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Difference between ntp-4.0 and xntp3-5.93e

"Vladimir A. Petrov" wrote:

> Hello!
>
> What's the difference between ntp-4.0 and xntp3-5.93e?
> I just looked through http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ and don't found
> any reasonable answer. Xntpd included in standard FreeBSD distribution,
> ntpd included in FreeBSD ports collection. What is the best? Which
> of this packages I should use for time synchronization?

	The ntp package is an implementation of NTP version 4, and is still
experimental, although many people report good success with it. For all but
very high load environments the xntpd that comes with freebsd will work,
although the latest version of xntpd is more efficient and less buggy, so
if you plan to serve a lot of clients or you're in a situation where every
cpu cycle is important, you should use it.

Good luck,

Doug