Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:57:40 +0100
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Gerrit =?iso-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: Anybody using gp driver?

In message <20031128205244.GA40124@pmp.uni-hannover.de>, Gerrit =?iso-8859-1?Q?
K=FChn?= writes:
>On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 06:31:27PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>> >I might have guessed it.
>> >Is there anything around FreeBSD you're not working with or on? ;-)
>
>> sound cards :-)
>
>Hey, you can quite easily make oscilloscopes from them... :)

Not for the speeds I need :-)

>> >Perhaps I'll be able to have a look at it next week. Which gpib chipsets
>> >does it support (apart from NI, which seems to be some kind of standard)?
>
>> The idea was to have the generic NI API and per-chip driver code.  I
>
>So you already implemented the complete NI command set?!

Not quite but a lot of it yes.  The NI command set seems to be simply
wrapper functions of the 7210 chip anyway...

>Hm, my PCI card (made by INES) uses afaicr a NEC chip, too (can't remember
>the number now). Did you ever try to ask Frank Mori Hess or one of the
>other guys who are maintaining the Linux gpib driver about datasheets?
>Should be strange if no-one has them...

I've never spent much time on it, I found some data sheets on some
newer chips which were 7210 compatible and went from there.

>> Sure it is, but only if there is sufficient hacker momentum will it
>> gain the ability and retain the ability.  GPIB has been discussed about
>> once per year for the last 5 year and we've gotten nowhere further
>> for that...
>
>Ok, I see. Linux seems to have suffered a similar problem for some time.
>Actually it's quite a pity - gpib is really useful stuff to have in a lab.
>Well, my hacking skills are rather poor and my time is somewhat limited;
>otherwise I would already have put more effort into this.

And here we go again :-)

As much as I'd personally love to have GPIB in FreeBSD, I just don't
see it having enough mindshare and marketshare to happen.

I'd love to be proven wrong...