Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 22:23:56 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make fails while rebuilding kernel

On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 01:21:47PM -0500, Ken Seggerman wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I am trying to rebuild my 3.1 kernel on a desktop pc.
>
> I did a make depend and then a make sevaral times.
>
> Make invarialbly fails with:
> rm -f hack.c
> cc -c -O -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls -Wimplicit
> -Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -Wpointer-arith
> -Winline -Wuninitialized -Wformat -Wunused  -fformat-extensions -ansi
> -nostdinc -I- -I. -I../.. -I/usr/include  -DKERNEL -DVM_STACK -include
> opt_global.h -elf  swapkernel.c
> make: don't know how to make ../../sys/param.h. Stop
>
> My reading of the handbook lead me to believe that I may have made some
> errors in editing the kernel configuration file.
>
> I tried reducing the number of changes, and finally tried building from
> GENERIC with the same result:
>  make: don't know how to make ../../sys/param.h. Stop
>
> There are several versions of param.h in various places
>
> /usr/include/machine/param.h
> /usr/include/sys/param.h
> /usr/src/sys/alpha/include/param.h
> /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/dosboot/param.h
> /usr/src/sys/i386/include/param.h
> /usr/src/sys/param.h
>
> They are not identical.
>
> Perhaps the compiler is reading the wrong one, or there might be an error
> in the Makefile like a param.h where it should be param.c or param.o
>
> I would be grateful for any help in this matter.

It is looking for /usr/src/sys/param.h. In my 3.4 kernel Makefile, the
only place I see this is,

vers.c: $S/conf/newvers.sh $S/sys/param.h ${SYSTEM_DEP}
        sh $S/conf/newvers.sh ${KERN_IDENT} ${IDENT}

You have not done something weird like moved the compile/MYKERNEL
directory someplace else? What happens if you are in the compile
directory and do a,

  # ls -l ../../sys/param.h

Although I don't know if this could possibly be making problems, you
are doing a 'make depend' before the 'make', right?