Date:      Fri, 16 Sep 2011 14:58:43 +0200
From:      Robert Schulze <rs@bytecamp.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   increase in dropped udp datagrams

Hi,

we are running an NFS server (8.2-STABLE/amd64 from 2011-09-08) with
several 8.1-RELEASE-p1/amd64 clients (webservers). After updating the
server, we now realize a slight increase in udp datagrams "dropped due
to full socket buffers", which wasn't the case in the previously
installed 8.2-STABLE from 2011-05-08. This also results in higher
averages in HTTP request time on the clients.

Nothing was changed on the configuration regarding sysctls or loader
tuneables.

kern.ipc.maxsockbuf is at 1024000 on the server.

Was there a change which could cause the drops? Should this tuneable be
increased further?

Regarding maxsockbuf: is this number per-socket? So does one have to
keep in mind that there could be maxsockbuf*maxsockets allocated for UDP?

I'm willing to provide further information upon question.

with kind regards,
Robert Schulze