Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 1994 13:10:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier ROBERT)
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.shutdown (First shot)

> approximation that tried to bring the system down in a seconds-countable
> timeframe.  Now I'll get a "halt" that maybe doesn't even halt the system at
> all, if the /etc/rc.shutdown wedges.  Generally, if I type "halt", I want
> the system to be gone.  Solaris actually does this quite well, providing
> "shutdown", "halt", and "uadmin 2 0" to provide a rather fine level of

What I have just now is an init which will run /etc/rc.shutdown when :
1. you type ctrl-alt-del at the console,
2. you type shutdown -h some_time,
3. you type shutdown some_time to go single-user.

Any other way to bring the system down (halt/reboot/fasthalt/fastboot) DOESN'T
run /etc/rc.shutdown.

Speak up people ! What do you want between the following ?

1. nothing at all -- old BSD way
2. the half-way now (only shutdown run the script) -- what *I* have
3. init does all the work and halt/reboot/shutdown all make init run the script ...

I need your opinion, folks.

present: one for 3 (Peter) and one for 1 (Joe).
--
Ollivier ROBERT   -=- FreeBSD: the daemon is FREE! -=-   roberto@FreeBSD.ORG
      FreeBSD keltia 2.1.0-Development #0: Sun Dec 11 20:52:22  1994