Date:      Sat, 6 Nov 1999 02:48:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Jan Pechanec <pechy@hp735.cvut.cz>
Cc:        Erez Zadok <ezk@cs.columbia.edu>, Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stupidfs - easily extensible test file systems?

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Jan Pechanec wrote:

> 	BTW, don't you know why deadfs was written? No doc in FreeBSD.
> From what I saw in the source code, operations just fail.

When youhave a vnode open, and for some reason the filesystem the vmode
pints to disappears (e.g. the disk is removed, or the PC-CARD is removed,
or many other posibilties), then you cannot track down all teh users fo
that vnode very easily, so insteadm you 'fiddle' with it to make it
reference the DEADFS (use VGONE) and when the users try use it again they
will safely get an error, but at least the system will
not core-dump when they access a non existant filesyste,/device.

julian