Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 15:50:44 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blackout - fsck - cleared files

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 09:35:11PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (May 11), Edwin Groothuis said:
> > Last night it was suddenly very dark in the neighbourhood here.
> > Luckely the electricity came back within the hour, but still, my
> > computer didn't like me anymore. It boots without problem, but fsck
> > gave me a lot of lines like:
> >
> > <118> I=1119059  OWNER=edwin MODE=100600
> > <118>/dev/ad0s1f: SIZE=443 MTIME=May 10 23:44 2002  (CLEARED)
> > <118>/dev/ad0s1f:
> > <118>UNREF FILE
> >
> > The cleared message, does it mean the directory entrance for this
> > file is cleared or that some dirty-flag is cleared?
>
> The UNREF FILE message means there is a valid inode but there are no
> directory entries pointing to it.  If you're running softupdates you

So euh... shouldn't these allocated pieces then be stored in
lost+found for possible recovery, or isn't that needed because fsck
does know they're already somewhere else also in a real file?

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |           Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |        Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: