Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:57:19 +0100
From:      Bram Schoenmakers <bramschoenmakers@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   'nodump' on directories: new contents still dumped

Hi,

I'm using dump(8) for backing up a FreeBSD 4.10 server. In order to decrease
the resulting file size, I flagged some directories like /usr/ports
and /usr/src with 'nodump'. I adjusted the dump level 0 script to have -h 0,
so that worked fine. The other scripts for dumps >0 do not have a -h flag
set, because -h 1 is default.

The problem is that new files appearing in the /usr/ports tree (daily portsnap
cron) do not have the 'nodump' flag set. But despite the 'nodump' flag on
the /usr/ports directory, the new files in the tree are still dumped.

I understood that dump does not enter directories with 'nodump' flag set, so
it shouldn't see the new files inside, right? Or is this behavior implemented
in a newer version than FreeBSD 4.10? I have scanned the CVS logs for dump,
but couldn't find anything relevant.

One 'hack' is to run a script prior to the dump to recursively set
all 'nodump' flags where appropriate, but I'm hoping that someone can
enlighten me what is going on.

Thanks in advance,

--
Bram Schoenmakers

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
(Punch, 1855)