Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2000 12:36:20 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Scott Dodson <sdodson@beoclu-01.phy.gasou.edu>, Jon Paterson <jpaterson@itchannel.net>, "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Correct sequence for keeping a 4.1 system stable.

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <39E20B55.B57B7A25@urx.com> Kent Stewart writes:
> : What kind of errors are you looking for? The 4.0-R to 4.1.1-S
> : buildworld upgrade that I was watching finished last night. Because of
> : this thread I did a buildkernel KERNEL=GENERIC and that went without
> : errors. There were a couple of warning message in the buildkernel but
> : that was it. The buildworld output far really to large to page down
> : through.
>
> No errors after you run mergemaster on reboot?  I think that I get
> some files not existing messages from newsyslog on a reboot that far
> apart.

I haven't got that far. The system is remote and the installs won't be
done until the person I am helping gets off of work tonight. I just
wanted to know what to look for. The system started out as a clean
standard build by a newbie and all that has been added to it is cvsup,
doc-proj, and a game chat program.

I am expecting to see messages from sendmail because of the aliases
changes for the current version. Will be interested to see what
mergemaster does there now. This system doesn't have any aliases to
worry about and if nothing else, we just run newaliases manually.

I'm also going to try the installworld without going to single user
mode. If we can do that, I can do the mergemaster and get them past
the huge number of cron changes. Telling someone with a reading
problem what to do over a talk window on a different computer can be a
real problem when you have so many shell scripts changing. I figure I
stand a pretty good chance this will work on 4.x-stable. I have 3
systems that I don't have to run in single user mode to do the
installworld. The reason for waiting is that it may not work and then
you have someone that can try it in single-user mode.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA