Date:      Mon, 08 Oct 2018 22:26:54 +0300
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FYI: I finally got FreeBSD 12 booted under qemu/kvm with general Ethernet access (on a MACCHIATObin running linux)

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 10:14 PM, Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 2018-Oct-8, at 11:41 AM, Greg V <greg at unrelenting.technology>
> wrote:
>
>>  On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 10:14 PM, Mark Millard via freebsd-arm
>> <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>  Unfortunately, like every past attempt at such where I used
>>>  -cpu host, -smp, and -enable-kvm on a few Linux-booted systems
>>>  where I've tried such, processes are subject to occasional, random
>>>  illegal instruction and segmentation fault program crashes. (The
>>>  host linux has no such problems.) True even before getting Ethernet
>>>  access working in FreeBSD.
>>
>>  Hmmmm, I never saw any program crashes on Scaleway's KVM VPS
>> (ThunderX hardware), but I have awfully slow storage performance.
>>
>>  How fast is the disk on your KVM setup?
>
> I've only booted linux via a microsd card so far,
> a Class A1 SanDisk Ultra. I've not planned on
> putting linux on the fast media that I hope
> to put FreeBSD on and boot from someday. As
> stands, I do not have spare fast media for the
> MACCHIATObin.

Surely QEMU/KVM supports booting from bare metal hard disks (not
files), so you could put FreeBSD on the disk you want to eventually
boot directly from, and initially try it under KVM. I actually had a
setup where I would boot the same FreeBSD disk on my desktop both
directly on metal and under Hyper-V :)

But anyway, I think you'd notice the difference even on microSD.
The performance on the VPS is *that* bad.