Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 14:24:14 +0200
From:      Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: setquota (from the ports collection) doesn't work...

Hey there,

The easiest way to check if quotas are on is to type "mount".  You
should see something like:

/dev/ad2s1e on /usr/home (ufs, local, with quotas, soft-updates, writes:
sync 1067 async 31236, reads: sync 15691 async 1162)

If not, then you haven't got quotas running on the file system.  Some
things to check are:

1)  Did you compile the QUOTA support into your kernel?  It's not part
of the GENERIC kernel.

2)  The mount output.  :)  (as above)

3)  Your /etc/rc.conf has something like:
enable_quotas="YES"
check_quotas="YES"

By the way, you can also set the quota for a user by using edquota ( it
comes with the base system ).

Hope this helps you.
Cheers,
Marc