Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 21:51:44 -0600
From:      Larry Hawk <larryhawk@sprintmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Getting on the internet w/FreeBSD

--------------3BCB09B6987D334E71DC2957

I recently became quite interested in UNIX (FreeBSD to be specific), and
I have spent a lot of time trying to learn the ins-and-outs of it. I
come from a strictly Microsoft background so needless to say, I have had
to un-learn alot of things that I "thought" I knew. But over the course
of the last 6 months (which is about how long I've been trying to figure
this out), I have yet to be able to decipher how to do certain tasks. I
purchased the CD-Rom/Book set of FreeBSD 2.2.5 from Walnut Creek and
have studied it religiously, but there are parts of the book that seem
very informative to the new-UNIX user while the very next section is
totally cryptic. I am a network administrator for a multimedia
production firm with about 30 PCs (running a mixture of Windows 95,
Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0). I know my way around a computer. Could
you please explain to me, in painful detail, how to access the internet
on a computer running FreeBSD 2.2.5 with a 56k US Robotics modem? I am
using KDE 1.0 as my desktop environment and I've think I done well to
figure this out all on my own (No one I know knows anything about UNIX,
so I ain't getting no help....) If you can explain this to me (under
both XWindows and/or the command-line), I would greatly appreciate it.
As I stated earlier. I come from a MS background so I am used to a GUI.
Command-line stuff is somewhat alien to me (I can use it but I VERY MUCH
prefer GUI's). I'm totally frustrated and ready to say the hell with
UNIX. I am aware of many of the shortcomings of MS Window, which is part
of the reason for my interest in FreeBSD. But if simple things like
getting on-line are this hard to figure out, then maybe UNIX (i.e.
FreeBSD, Linux, etc) just isn't for me. Please help. I don't want
Windows 98 to be my only option for an OS (It really sucks...). :-)

Larry Hawk
larryhawk@sprintmail.com
or
Hawk_Larry@mail.aera.com

--------------3BCB09B6987D334E71DC2957

I recently became quite interested in UNIX (FreeBSD to be specific), and
I have spent a lot of time trying to learn the ins-and-outs of it. I come
from a strictly Microsoft background so needless to say, I have had to
un-learn alot of things that I "thought" I knew. But over the course of
the last 6 months (which is about how long I've been trying to figure this
out), I have yet to be able to decipher how to do certain tasks. I purchased
the CD-Rom/Book set of FreeBSD 2.2.5 from Walnut Creek and have studied
it religiously, but there are parts of the book that seem very informative
to the new-UNIX user while the very next section is totally cryptic. I
am a network administrator for a multimedia production firm with about
30 PCs (running a mixture of Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0).
I know my way around a computer. <b>Could you please explain to me, in
painful detail, how to access the internet on a computer running FreeBSD
2.2.5 with a 56k US Robotics modem?</b> I am using KDE 1.0 as my desktop