Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 2003 07:31:12 +1000
From:      "Adam Carmichael" <carneeki@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Core dumps not containing Symbols

Greetings all,

I have a box that is dumping cores, and I would like to look into the matter
further, but my output in gdb does not appear to contain symbols.

I modified GENERIC so that it contains the following line:
makeoptions DEBUG=-g

I have also tried with and without the following two options:
options DDB
options DDB_UNATTENDED
without success.

I read in Absolute BSD, and the FreeBSD Developers Handbook that my
makeoptions line should be all that is required.

This code is from the 4-STABLE source at about 01:20 AEST, Sat Oct 25, 2003
(about 15:20, Fri Oct 24 2003 UTC [sorry if I'm an hour out - I don't know
whether I subtract 10 hours or 11 hours for daylight savings/winter time] ).

What other stages are there to get the relevant source to appear in gdb when
i run 'where'?

(I would like to help out by possibly patching what is occuring rather than
just post the info when the machine dumped it's core).

Could I request all replies be CC'ed to my hotmail account as well as the
list as my normal POP3 client is in the process of a change in OS.

--
Adam Carmichael
carneeki@carneeki.net [upgrading my notebook from XP => BSD - won't be

Chat via SMS. Simply send 'CHAT' to 1889918. 33c per message sent. Free to
receive. More info at
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/MoChat.asp?blipid=6800