Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:41:51 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious boot during the night

On Monday, 19 November 2001 at  3:07:07 +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Andrew writes:
>> You don't need to update the entire operating system if you can
>> procure and install the patch.

Note, first, that this claim is wrong.

> Good.  So how do I know that this patch is related to the mysterious
> boot I observed?

You don't.  It just fits the symptoms.

>> You may have to ask... but, from what Greg has said, the patch was
>> written specifically to make your chipset compatable with FreeBSD.
>
> Fine, but how do I know that a chipset incompatibility had anything
> to do with my problem?

You don't.  It just fits the symptoms.  Note, however, that there's
nothing else in this box which is likely to cause the problems.  I'm
writing this on a very similar machine, running -CURRENT (with the
fix), and I haven't had any trouble.  The machine has been up for
nearly 2 weeks.

Greg