Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 06:43:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Subject:   RE: fxp0 hangs my AXPpci33

> I'm reluctant to commit it because I don't really understand why it
> works.  It was just a shot-in-the-dark kind of thing..
>
> Does anybody have any ideas why using I/O port access should work,
> while using the memory mapped access wouldn't?  Matt, Doug?
>

> The only thing I can think of is that memory mapped access is
> generally broken on the apecs/lca..  But the NCR driver works, and it
> uses memory mapped access..

They're not the same kind of device at all.

So, why does I/O access also break on Qlogic cards on alphas? They work just
peachy on i386. And there are many fine cards that work fine with I/O instead
of mem access on alpha....

Look- I've had the

        if (getenv_int("isp_mem_map", &bitmap)) {
                if (bitmap & (1 << unit)) {
                        m1 = PCIM_CMD_MEMEN;
                        m2 = PCIM_CMD_PORTEN;
                }
        }
        bitmap = 0;
        if (getenv_int("isp_io_map", &bitmap)) {
                if (bitmap & (1 << unit)) {
                        m1 = PCIM_CMD_PORTEN;
                        m2 = PCIM_CMD_MEMEN;
                }
        }

stuff in isp_pci since newbus came in. Somebody should add the same to if_fxp
(or some more general selector solution) and make this an alpha HARDWARE.TXT
entry ("On AXPpci33/Multia, fxp needs to be set for mem_only mapping").

-matt