Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 1995 17:42:03 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sneezy.sri.com>
To:        "bo (b.) xiao" <xiao@bnr.ca>, freebsd-questions@wcarchive.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: fw:how does one get perl for 2.0?

> > I should like to get perl 4 for the 2.0 release.  Have
> > I missed it somewhere?
>
> Perl5.000 compiles right out of the box. I wonder why it
> is 4.013 that in the distribution.

It's not, it's a bug in the Makefile/configuration script that causes the
number to be .013 instead of the the most recent release of 4.0.

The reason Perl5 isn't in the release is because it was 'beta' software
when the release was being put together.  Also, it has been my
experience that it is a best to wait for a couple patches to be released
before using a new product since there are always bugs that need to be
shaken out in the initial distribution.

I'll let someone else comment on uucp.

Nate