Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 22:09:05 -0500
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Teaching parents UNIX

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 01:05:19AM +0100, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 03:46:29PM -0500, Oliver, Michael W. wrote:
> > I would suggest that Microsoft software is NOT responsible for the spread of
> > virii.  What can software do by itself without the driving force of a human
> > being?  I submit that ignorant/cheap/lazy/whatever users, coupled with kids
> > (with too much time on their hands and parents who don't know or don't care)
> > writing virii, are the cause of the vast majority of virus infections.
>
> That does not mean we should accept the spread of them by carelessness.
>

> > I do not want to get into any kind of pissing match with you Cliff, because
> > your rabid distaste for MS products rivals any that I have seen, and I share
> > that view to some extent.  I will let Anthony be the Microsoft advocate ;-)
>
> I don't have a rabid distaste for Microsoft products.
> I will even go as far as to say having recently had a look at
> Windows XP it is a million percent improvement on 9X.

Faint praise, indeed.

> Anyway that is besides the point.
> Viruses are spread because of careless software practises, ok by the
> users of software, but also by the vendors of the software that
> leave it wide open to such abuse.

I've got to agree with Anthony on this one. Windows is attractive to
virus writers because over 90% of people who use the internet use
Windows. They can do a lot more damage for the same amount of effort
with Windows than they can with any given version of Unix. Plus, the
large number of Win systems makes it easier for the virii to spread.
If we're going to engage in monoculture, we're going to have massive,
destructive epidemics.

As the level of knowledge necessary to operate a computer decreases,
people who were previously unable or unwilling to use computers
start using them, and the average level of competence of computer
users decreases. Any specific system is only as secure as the
person using it makes it. For most users, improvements in MS
software aren't going to make their computers any safer because the
users are still going to leave the machines wide open to infection.
And now that DSL and cable are becoming popular, people leave their
computers on and connected to the internet 24/7. Virii that scan for
hosts to infect are going to start hitting client machines.

MS contributes by selling their software at the beta stage, but
that contribution is small compared to the other factors. Even
if MS bundled anti-virus with their software, they can't force
users to use it or update the virus signatures.

Bob Hall
--
Know thyself? Absurd direction!
Bubbles bear no introspection.        -Khushhal Khan Khatak